- Been pregnant. *Pause for woohoos!* I am feeling happy and scared and, quite frankly, nauseated pretty much 24-7. We've seen The Squishums (after a visit at 5 weeks where we DIDN'T see The Squishums, which caused quite the panic) and last week heard the heartbeat (160/min in case you're wondering.) So all looks well thus far. I'm going into my 12th week tomorrow. Rock on.
- Gone on vacation with my in-laws. This has become a yearly tradition for us: the whole family traipsing down to Amelia Island, Florida for a week. I spend lots of time on the beach looking for sharks' teeth. (I'm a hunter-gatherer: rocks, sharks' teeth, arrowheads, odd bits of wood in the forest, cicada shells...) This year, Jeffrey and I made early morning visits to the beach together while everybody slept. I did this with my father once when I was a little girl and I still remember it. I'm not sure if he'll remember this year, but I hope I've set a precedent. We looked at crab holes and sea turtle nests and periwinkles. We also spent our last morning there picking up trash. We found, among other things: a heavy rubber glove, a toothbrush, several deflated balloons with strings attached, an ancient beer can, eighty jillion fireworks casings, and three matchless flipflops. I think we both felt morally superior to the litterbugs when we headed back to the condo. (I also made the Drinky McDrinkwells recycle all of their liquor bottles and beer cans. Again, moral superiority.)
- Met with Jeffrey's Pre-K teacher. Wondered if I was old enough to be her mother. Calculated the biological odds while she talked about naptime. Felt old and fat. Hated her a bit, largely for being the woman who will get to hang with The Critter all day long. Dumb ol' (okay, freakishly young) Pre-K teacher.
- Lamented over my garden's crispy state. Oh, the horror of my corn and raspberries. The sadness of my tomatoes. The anguish of my lemon verbena. It ought not to be 102 degrees and windy with no rain for a month. I water with my environmentally sound soaker hose on the days I'm allowed to, but my water pressure is equivalent to a newborn taking a leak, so I feel like I might as well not even do it. We DID get a brief thundershower today, during which I told Will that if it wasn't lightning, I'd run around my backyard naked. Well, I'd keep the bra on, due to pregnant-booby-pain.
- Got a new car. Actually, we don't have it yet, but we'll get it on Monday or Tuesday if the credit checks come out okay. Will and I had to do a little dance of compromise: he wanted size and gadgets, I wanted low price and low gas mileage. We wound up with a 2006 Honda CRV, which feels humongous and has pretty good fuel efficiency to go with it. It also has a moonroof and a six-CD changer which I feel is ridiculous. It ALSO comes with a picnic table nestled over a faux wheel-well-dealy which can be turned into a cooler. I think that's what won Will over.
- Screamed at the television and yelled at friends and family members about Israel. The words "terrorist state" might have been mentioned. It comes to this: I'm not up to World War III with a baby on the way. The Squishums will be due right in the middle of flu season, so I have enough on my plate right now, you know what I'm saying?
Thursday, July 13, 2006
What's Two Months Between Friends?
Look, peeps, I've been busy. How busy, you might ask? So busy I wrote a list about it. In the past two months, I have: